Starting a blog in wordpress.com is as easy as starting a blog in blogger.com.
The difference between wordpress.com and blogger.com is that, more themes are better than blogger.com.
Also, if you plan on using custom domain, you can buy it directly in wordpress.com unlike blogger, you have to buy it outside of blogger.
There is no much difference between the two. However, in a nutshell, wordpress.com is better than blogger.com if you plan to create a blog without spending a dime.
WordPress.com Plans and Pricing
Before we start, here are the advantages and disadvantages of using wordpress.com platform.
Advantages of wordpress.com
- You don’t pay for domain and hosting(except when you want a custom domain)
- You don’t need any technical experience to launch your website.
- You don’t need any coding skills
- You don’t need to pay for themes.
- You can change your default domain to a custom domain(it will costs you as little as $10/year)
- Simple as 1, 2, 3
Disadvantages of wordpress.com
- Your domain will look like this example.wordpress.com
- Plugins are very limited and you can’t install additional plugins
- You can’t install custom theme.
- You can’t customize the theme the way you want it.(modify theme with php functions, html and css)
- You don’t have full control over your website.
- Your website maybe deleted anytime if you violate WordPress’s Terms and Conditions.
As you can see, this is similar when you start a blog in blogger,com. So if you are willing to start your blog in wordpress.com platform, then follow the step by step guide below.
How to start your Blog with wordpress.com
- Got to wordpress.com and click “Get Started”
- Now you need to choose the design. In our case, choose “Start with a Blog”. DOn’t worry you can change this settings later.
- After that, you need to choose a theme. Choose any theme you want. You can change this later if you doesn’t like the theme.
- After you chooses you theme , you need to decide for your blog’s domain. You’re blog’s domain will end on .wordpress.com. The domain is the URL of the website. For example www.facebook.com, youtube.com, twitter.com, etc.
- You will be directed to wordpress.com’s plans and pricing. Select “FREE”.
- The last step is to sign up by entering your email and password.
- Now, your blog is live. You can view this using your domain you provided on step 4 or you can just click My Site then click your wordpress blog
- Now, post your first article, customize your site. change your theme if you want, add menus and explore every settings about your site.
As you can see, starting a blog in wordpress.com is easy as starting a blog in blogger.com. You can start a blog for free but comes with a limited functions to customize your site.
Do you like wordpress.com? Let me know your thoughts on the comment section below.