So you choose to start your blog with blogger.com?
But how do you start your blog using blogger.com? Well, this article will help you to create your first blog post. Before we start, let me remind you of the advantages and disadvantages of using blogger.com platform.
Advantages of Blogger.com
- You don’t pay for domain and hosting
- You don’t need any technical experience to launch your website.
- You don’t need any coding skills
- You don’t need to pay for themes.
- You can change your default domain to a custom domain(it will costs you as little as $10/year)
- Simple as 1, 2, 3
Disadvantages of Blogger.com
- Your domain will look like this example.blogspot.com
- Plugins are very limited and you can’t install additional plugins
- You can’t install custom theme.
- You can’t customize the theme the way you want it.(modify theme with php functions, html and css)
- You don’t have full control over your website.
- Your website maybe deleted anytime if you violate Google’s Terms and Conditions.
So if you understand those and want to continue, just follow my step by step guide below on how to start your blog with blogger.com.
How to start your Blog with blogger.com
- First of all, since Blogger is owned by Google, you need a Gmail account.
- Go to Blogger.com and sign in with your Gmail account or click Create your Blog.
- Choose Google+ Profile or Blogger.(You can change this anytime, so don’t bother with this)
- Then you will be directed to the homepage. Just click “Create New Blog”
- Enter the title of your blog and your blog’s address domain. By default it will have .blogspot.com unless you change your domain to a custom one.
- Then choose your theme. You can change all of these later if you want to.
- Now your blog is live. You’re now ready to post your first article.
How to change blogger.com url address to custom domain?
- First you need to buy your domain from another provider. I recommend namecheap.
- After you purchase your domain, go your blog then Settings > Basic then click + Setup a 3rd party URL for your blog under Publishing.
- Now enter your domain then click Save. Note: It must begin with www to make it work.
- Now you just need to change your registrars DNS to point it to Google.
- If you purchase your domain in namecheap, here’s how to change your DNS records:
- Login to namecheap and click Manage in the domain your want to change the DNS.
- Now click the Advanced DNS Tab then you can now add host records. Click “Add New Record”.
- Enter the two details provided in step 4. Then click “Save all changes”.
- Just wait for a couple of minutes to point your domain to your blog. Sometimes it will take for as long as 1 hour.
- If you are successful, your old blogspot domain will “redirect” to your custom domain.
How to delete your blog on blogger.com?
For some reason, if you want to start all over again or if you want to just delete your blog because your just testing it out, just go to Settings > Other then click “Delete Blog”.
Please take note:
Deleted blogs can be restored within 90 days before they are removed forever. You can create another blog at this address using the Google Account you’re currently logged in with.
That’s it. You have now start your blog with blogger.com. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to comment below. Have a good day!